Friday, July 2, 2010

Research Rockstar!

Today is the last day that the middle schoolers in the science camp upstairs will be living in our building. The checked out two hours ago! When I went to breakfast this morning, they took forever to get their breakfast and clogged up the whole cafe, so I went to the line and made my own parfait. It was kind of bad, but at least I got a cinnamon raisin bagel for lunch. I arrived at my lab at 8:45 AM, wrote some notes, and practiced micropipetting into my 96 well chamber, aspirating fluid, etc. I got to do the rest of my protocol from yesterday, imaging EBs, etc. I got so much independence! I got great results too! I felt like a rockstar. And when I was given a 50 EB sample, I got 35 out. Not bad! They stick to the pipette tips and are really annoying. I handled it well, and when I had to make a troubleshooting call, I made the right call! YES! Research rockstar moment #1! Then I helped Dylan passage his cells, grabbing him all of his reagents, putting trays in and out of the incubator, running to the cold room, being his right hand man. I finished my work, ate my bagel, and played spades. I helped Dylan "go NIL," but we lost the game overall. Apparently, newbies always lose for their team (I am a newbie). Dylan let me run my protocol on his cells and I think I did a good job. I will find out soon enough. I have to edit my typed protocol still, but it is coming along. I got to put on my iPod, and surprisingly, Dylan and I have similar taste in music for some part. I honestly just put on songs I didn't think he'd detest. Apparently, I was successful. I danced around the lab and had fun working when i realized it was 20 to 5:00 (PM). I got to do some aliquoting of EGF (he let me do sterile work on my own with reagents that actually matter!). Great day. We got SOOO much done. He says the rest of our days will be this busy. YAY! I thought today was a "WOW" day. As in, "Wow, I want to do this!" I didn't get the same vibe when I shadowed docs between 10th and 11th grade at NYLF. I left work, called my mom, bought some necessities at the bookstore, and went to the DUC for dinner. I played Rock Band Beatles edition and sang a lot, drummed a little. It has been an awesome night, and all of my room/suite mates seem nice. We are emailing. My roommate will be at Wash U the 8th through 10th of July, so we are probably going to meet up and discuss things. :)

Great day! I feel so competent, it is awesome. And I understand processes.
TBC,
The exuberant one

No comments:

Post a Comment