Friday, July 23, 2010

Terrific Thursday and Beyond

I woke up, had a different breakfast than I normally do, and went to a conference where a BME who had gone into "industry," I.E. the business aspect of things, talked to us. He was more of a software programmer/ IT guy, but he was still really cool. He encouraged us to take some business classes, maybe get an MD/MBA (not for me, obviously), or a business minor. He said it is better to do it while you are still on your schooling streak than to try to go back to school later. He also invited us to check out his company and gave us his email. I picked his brains quite a bit.

I went to work, autoclaved, did some actual productive work, and talked with Dylan about my presentation. Unlike my abstract, he actually liked it. He said it was simple, effective, and the flow was good, and to just add the results and finish. We analyzed the results, emailed them to my laptop, etc.

I went to dinner, where I had a delicious chicken burger (so worth the longer wait. Burgers of any sort take way longer than Mexican food). Then it was chem prep time. It was so fast. I only have one more left on Monday. I have learned a lot about the WHYs of chemistry. Why we accept certain things as true, and the quantum mechanical Schrödinger's Cat situation.

I went from chem prep to the library. I was there for 2 hours. It felt like 10 minutes. I focused like a dream. Headphones on, one album repeating (so that you don't notice the music and hence don't feel time go by). I almost finished my presentation. Then I went home and actually finished.

It feels so good to be done. I know I have editing to do, but it is just... such a relief to have everything pretty much squared away.

Today I am going to a seminar about MD/Ph.D. programs. I think the point of SSBBR is to push us to be MD/Ph.D.s, but they don't talk about how ridiculously competitive they are. The nice thing is that you can research on humans. Many Ph.D.s do rat surgeries, etc. But MD/Ph.D.s do human surgeries and lab work. I think many of them teach medical school. Not sure though. It gives you so many options. But the speaker yesterday makes me think that industry might not be so different. Money make things happen, and money comes with strings attached, whether loaned or granted.

TBC,
ATT

No comments:

Post a Comment