Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lots of Twos Today

Today is June 12, and there are two days and 22 hours until I leave for St. Louis, so I changed my blog title to "Meet Me in St. Louis." I thought it was cute.

I am getting my hair cut today and possibly using my Nordstrom gift card, probably on some shorts. I am typically not a shorts person for a variety of reasons. I have noticed that my friend, Tammy S., looks great in shorts of any length (or lack thereof). I feel is if for me, I would rather air on the side of longer shorts. I mean, my scarring is going to show either way, don't get me wrong. I have accepted that. I have fretted over it for far too long. Honestly, I don't think I am as upset about the actual scarring as I am about the accident. I try to wear my mistakes and blunders with pride. I remember the first day of school this year, putting on my cheer skirt for the whole world to see all of the pink and purple mess (it was worse then than it is now). I was a bit of a wreck. Now I feel as if it my scars are a reminder for me to not take anything in life for granted. Last night I looked back on my June 22, 2009 blog and realized my accident was nearly a year ago. I must have still been in a bit of shock during that entry. I called it a "bike [malfuction]," which was so not the case. I try to be brave and smile for the world sometimes... but I sort of wish I had been more honest and real about it.

So now, nearly one year after my bike spill... after questions, comments, gagging noises (thanks for that!), and "are you going to fix that?!?!" I am here to say,

No! I am not going to "Fix That!" I say that for emphasis, because I have come to believe that there isn't anything wrong with my legs. Why would I suffer more pain (and possible skin tightening when my skin there is already too tight over the bone) for it to look marginally better? And I don't like the idea that we as people have to erase all of our flaws. It makes me real. I am over it. Can everyone else please be too? Wish me luck on my hunt for something cute and my new hair!

Love,
The Youngest (and Tallest!) Applebaum

No comments:

Post a Comment